Using Cognito Forms to capture referral information is ideal for tracking referrals whenever you need highly complex, logic-based forms. We'll go step-by-step through the setup needed to redirect referrals to your form and to track referral form completions.
Setting up the Referral Redirect Page
Step 1: Obtain your form link. The steps are outlined below.
- Log in to your Cognito Forms account and choose the form you want to send referrals to.
- Click on the Publish tab.
- Select the form URL and "Share a Link" and copy this link to use in the next step in Referral Rock.
Step 2: Now that you have the form link that you want to send referrals to, it's time to set this as the referral page in Referral Rock.
- In your program editor, navigate to the Referral Page or click here and choose Redirect for Referral Capture.
- Click on the Redirect URL button and paste the form link from step 1.
- Click save.
Referral Conversion Tracking in Cognito Forms
The next step in setting up Referral Rock to work with Cognito Forms is tracking conversions on your form. This will tell us which referral filled out the form, which member sent them, and any information we choose to send back from the form submission to Referral Rock.
Conversion Page With Redirect
In our testing, we've found that the confirm page with redirect option for conversion tracking works great with Cognito Forms. In this scenario, we will redirect users from your Cognito Form to a Referral Rock page and then on to a final destination. The trick is appending the form submissions onto the end of the URL from Cognito Form in a way that the Referral Rock page can pick them up.
Step 1: Set your Referral Rock confirm page with redirect settings. You'll need to log in to Referral Rock to do this.
- Navigate to the Program > Edit Program > Referral Page or click here and scroll down to the section titled Redirect URL.
- In the box, enter the URL you want users to end up on after they submit the form. Generally this is your home page or a custom landing page or thank you page.
- Next, copy the URL under the Conversion Page section at the top for use in the next step.
Step 2: Set up your Cognito Form submission settings. More details on setting up redirect can be found here.
- Open the Cognito Form you are using for referrals.
- Under the Build tab, at the bottom, select Submission Settings.
- Under Confirmation Options, check the Redirect URL box.
- Enter the Conversion Page URL from step one in the box.
- Now, we will add variables to the end of the URL. First, start by adding a ? after the last backslash. See below for an example.
- Choose any of the parameters listed below, and then put an equals sign and then add the variable using the Insert Field button in the URL box in CognitoForms. These will add as boxes with the name of the question in them, like in the image blow.
- Click save.