What is the Referral Update Script?
The Referral Update Script is used when your sales process has more than one step and you want to track referrals as they move through each steps. Just like the Conversion Tracking Script, the Referral Update Script fires on page load and should be placed on the page that signifies an update has occurred. The Referral Update Script is used to do one or more of the following:
- Update the status of a Referral to Qualified or Approved after they complete a new step in your process
- Add additional information to an existing Referral record, as it becomes available
For example, the Referral Update Script could be used to do the following:
- Update the status of an existing referral from pending to approved when they sign up for a paid subscription following a free trial
- Set the amount when an existing referral upgrades their account
The Referral Update Script requires a referral key. The referral key is a parameter that tells Referral Rock which referral to update. For instance, if you set the referral's email address during initial conversion with the Conversion Tracking Script, you would then be able to use the referralkey_email parameter in the Referral Update Script.
1. Email Address (referralkey_email) - the most common method, as email address is ubiquitous as a unique identifier in many online systems
2. External Identifier (referralkey_externalid) - an id that you set that uniquely identifies the user within your system (UUID, username, etc.)
3. Internal Identifier (referralkey_id) - a unique identifier that is created by Referral Rock during initial conversion.
How to setup the Referral Update Script on your website
- Go to Settings > Integrations then select Referral Update Script or click here.
- Copy the code in the grey box and paste it into the HTML of the update page right before the closing
Testing your Integration Scripts
Once you have completed the integration scripts installation, we recommend you test them in order to ensure they are working correctly and you are pulling all the necessary Referral information.
The Integration Event Log
The Integration Event Log is a great place to make sure that referrals and their information is being captured properly. Using the Event Log, you can view a list of all the integration events that are associated with your Referral Rock account. When you select details, you are able to view all the data being passed by the integration scripts and confirm that the desired parameters are being passed correctly.
Using the Integration Event Log, you can confirm you are tracking conversions properly. However, if you check out your Event log and notice it is missing or pulling incorrect data, you might be making one of these common mistakes:
What Is Happening
What Causes It
How to Fix It
No events under 'List All' in the Event Log.
Integration Script is not firing.
Event Log is showing conversions but metadata is missing or incorrect.
Metadata is not correctly mapped to parameters.
Event Log is showing: Info - No Tracking ID.
User did not go through a referral link before conversion.
This happens when the conversion script fires but the user does not have a Referral Rock cookie from a member on their browser. If you are testing conversion tracking, ensure that you click through a live member's referral link. This can also happen if users switch devices, as member cookies are device specific.