Referral Update with HubSpot
Keeping HubSpot and Referral Rock in sync throughout your sales process is simple with Referral Rock's direct HubSpot integration. In this article, we will go over how to capture referrals and update their status using a variety of triggers in HubSpot.
Setting Up Conversion Tracking (Referral Add) For HubSpot
In order to update referrals using HubSpot triggers, the referral information must live in both Referral Rock and HubSpot. This is generally done using a lead-generation form that passes the referral information to both Referral Rock and HubSpot. This can be done in one of two ways:
- Use your existing online lead capture method that is already connected to HubSpot and add any referrals to Referral Rock using Referral Rock's conversion tracking script. If the user who fills out your form clicked through a referral link, the script will automatically add them to Referral Rock and match them with the member who referred them.
- Alternatively, you can send referrals to Referral Rock's built-in lead capture form. This form automatically attributes the correct referring member without the need for the conversion script. To ensure the lead is passed into HubSpot at the same time, use our Referral Add to HubSpot Integration.
Updating Referrals Using HubSpot Triggers
Understanding the process behind the Referral Rock and HubSpot integration is helpful when setting up your HubSpot integration settings in Referral Rock.
- Adding a Lead/Referral: When a new lead is captures, it needs to exist in both Referral Rock and HubSpot (see the two methods above).
- Close/Update Deal/Referral Processing: Update referrals based on event triggers in HubSpot.
- Trigger Event occurs in HubSpot
- Data is sent to Referral Rock
- Sales Receiver: Referral Rock processes the data and makes intelligent decisions to update the referral record.
Setting Up Your Account
- Ensure You Have Access to the HubSpot Integration: In Referral Rock, navigate to the Integration Setup page and scroll to the bottom.
- Connect Your HubSpot Account: Connect their HubSpot account to their Referral Rock account using OAuth. Users will be redirect to HubSpot's website where they will login and grant access so that the Referral Rock account may access data from the user's HubSpot account.
The following displays the confirmation screen users will see before granting access.
- Configure Settings in Referral Rock: All settings changes you’ll make will be within the Referral Rock Admin UI. Within your Referral Rock Admin UI, navigate to Settings > Integrations > HubSpot or click here.
Based on how your workflow is setup within HubSpot, you can configure the events in HubSpot to trigger updates in Referral Rock. Please go through the all of the steps on the page to configure the necessary settings. We’re happy to help talk you through the correct configuration based on your use case.
- Required Setup Area - Referral Status Change Event
This is where you select which events in HubSpot trigger referral status updates in Referral Rock.
The most common update is to use the "Closed Won" dealstage of a Deal to update the associated referral's status to "Approved". Edit this to fit your sales cycle. In addition, ensure you turn off any update events you do not want to use by selecting "Not Used" under the "Object Name" for that event.
- Recommended Setup Areas - Referral Fields to Update
If you configure this area, data from HubSpot will be used to update referral data in Referral Rock. This is generally used when you get new data in HubSpot during your sales process, and you want this data reflected in Referral Rock.
The most commonly updated field is "amount", which is most often used to denote a purchase amount and which can then be used by Referral Rock to create percentage based rewards or trigger rewards for certain minimum or maximum referral purchase amounts.
- Optional Setup Areas - Referral Target Match and Member Target Match
By default, Referral Rock will match existing referrals by referencing the HubSpot record's information. This is a fuzzy match that will look at name, email address, and/or external ID. If, however, you want more control over the way that Referral Rock matches a record, you can reference specific referral and/or member fields to Referral Rock's available matching fields.
- Optional Setup Areas - Process Rules
- Automatically process direct matches (recommended): If a Contact is updated in HubSpot and it directly matches either a Referral ID or External ID.
- Automatically process fuzzy matches (recommended): If a Contact is updated in HubSpot and it matches a Referral in Referral Rock using fuzzy matching (email address, name, etc). This is the most commonly used method.
- I want to review a referral add where a member match was not found: If a Contact is updated in HubSpot, and they are not matched as a Referral in Referral Rock by either direct or fuzzy matching (if enabled), the Sales Entry will be set to Review.
- I want to review where a referral with status "denied" is trying to be updated to qualified or approved: If the Referral is "Denied" in Referral Rock, and the associated Lead is in HubSpot, the Sales Entry will be set to Review if it is attempting to adjust the Referral to Qualified or Approved.
- Review Notification Flag: Will send you a notification if a Sales Entry is set to Review.
- Required Setup Area - Referral Status Change Event
- Test the setup: Trigger one of the events you setup in the previous step. You’ll be able to see the “Last HubSpot Connection” date update as well as “Last Entry Received” date if you have set everything up correctly.
I’m not sure this is working
You’ll be able to see the “Last HubSpot Connection” date be updated as well as “Last Entry Received” date if you have your account and events setup properly but that doesn’t necessarily mean the fields are correct. If your Referral Status Change Event settings are set correctly, any tests should appear in your Sales Entries log.
I’m not getting any sales entries
Also check to see if you are referencing the correct object, field name and value match. Referral Rock will only trigger an update when there is an exact value match for the selected field. Ensure that the Value Match field in Referral Rock matches the Internal Name of the property you are using as the trigger in HubSpot.
My fields aren’t being set correctly
If you run into any issues you can dig into the details of the individual sales entries to tell you exactly what is being sent by HubSpot. Double check your field mapping settings to see if they are indeed correct.