Referral Update with HubSpot
Keeping HubSpot and Referral Rock in sync throughout your sales process is simple with Referral Rock's direct HubSpot integration. In this article, we will go over how to capture referrals and update their status using a variety of triggers in HubSpot.
Setting Up Conversion Tracking (Referral Add) For HubSpot
In order to update referrals using HubSpot triggers, the referral information must live in both Referral Rock and HubSpot. This is generally done using a lead-generation form that passes the referral information to both Referral Rock and HubSpot or by setting up Matching in your Referral Rock HubSpot integration. This can be done in one of three ways:
- Set up Matching in Referral Rock's HubSpot integration to map a referral code, member email, member external ID, or member ID. If the object property you map matches a member's information, the referral will be added from HubSpot to Referral Rock. See Matching Rules below under Setup for further information.
- Use your existing online lead capture method that is already connected to HubSpot and add any referrals to Referral Rock using Referral Rock's conversion tracking script. If the user who fills out your form clicked through a referral link, the script will automatically add them to Referral Rock and match them with the member who referred them.
- Alternatively, you can send referrals to Referral Rock's built-in lead capture form. This form automatically attributes the correct referring member without the need for the conversion script. To ensure the lead is passed into HubSpot at the same time, use our Referral Add to HubSpot Integration.
Updating Referrals Using HubSpot Triggers
Understanding the process behind the Referral Rock and HubSpot integration is helpful when setting up your HubSpot integration settings in Referral Rock.
- Adding a Lead/Referral: When a new lead is captures, it needs to exist in both Referral Rock and HubSpot (see the three methods above).
- Close/Update Deal/Referral Processing: Update referrals based on event triggers in HubSpot.
- Trigger Event occurs in HubSpot
- Data is sent to Referral Rock
- Sales Receiver: Referral Rock processes the data and makes intelligent decisions to update the referral record.
Setting Up Your Account
- Access the HubSpot Integration: In Referral Rock, navigate to the Integration Setup page and scroll to the bottom.
- Connect Your HubSpot Account: Connect your HubSpot account to their Referral Rock account using OAuth. Users will be redirected to HubSpot's website where they will login and grant access so that the Referral Rock account may access data from the user's HubSpot account.
The following displays the confirmation screen users will see before granting access.
- Setup your Status Triggers : Status triggers are used to let our system know when to update a Referral to a specific status. Setup one or more status triggers based the HubSpot Object, Property and Text Value we should match to perform that status update. The most common example is setting the "Approved Status" to use the "Deal" object with the "Deal Stage" property with the value match of "Closed Won".
- Email Address (email)
- Lifecycle Stage (lifecyclestage)
- Hubspot Owner (hubspot_owner_id)
- Lead Status (hs_lead_status)
- Hubspot/Deal Owner (hs_all_owner_ids)
- Deal Stage (dealstage)
- Deal type (dealtype)
- Amount (amount)
- Hubspot Owner (hs_all_owner_ids)
- Lifecycle Stage (lifecyclestage)
- Lead Status (hs_lead_status)
- Name (name)
- Matching Rules (Optional):
- Add Referrals from HubSpot: If the referral DOES NOT exist in Referral Rock, you can assign HubSpot properties so that the referral record gets added to the correct referring member in Referral Rock.
- Alternate Referral Matching: If the referral already exists in both Referral Rock and HubSpot, you can assign HubSpot fields to ensure a direct match, so that the correct referral record is updated.Our software will try to find a direct match based on the contact information associated with the HubSpot record automatically. In most cases this setting is not necessary.
- Property Updates: Once a status change event occurs, these HubSpot properties are sent to Referral Rock. Below is the mapping of what fields in Referral Rock will be updated by which fields from HubSpot. You can also toggle a checkbox that will allow Referral Rock to update a Referral's contact information with the information received from HubSpot, if desired.
- Select Save and scroll down to edit your Process Rules (Optional)
Optional Setup Areas - Process Rules
- Automatically process direct matches (recommended): If a Contact is updated in HubSpot and it directly matches either a Referral ID or External ID.
- Automatically process fuzzy matches (recommended): If a Contact is updated in HubSpot and it matches a Referral in Referral Rock using fuzzy matching (email address, name, etc). This is the most commonly used method.
- I want to review a referral add where a member match was not found: If a Contact is updated in HubSpot, and they are not matched as a Referral in Referral Rock by either direct or fuzzy matching (if enabled), the Sales Entry will be set to Review.
- I want to review where a referral with status "denied" is trying to be updated to qualified or approved: If the Referral is "Denied" in Referral Rock, and the associated Lead is in HubSpot, the Sales Entry will be set to Review if it is attempting to adjust the Referral to Qualified or Approved.
- Review Notification Flag: Will send you a notification if a Sales Entry is set to Review.
- Test the setup: Trigger one of the events from Step 3. You’ll be able to see the “Last HubSpot Connection” date update as well as “Last Entry Received” date if you have set everything up correctly.
I’m not sure this is working
You’ll be able to see the “Last HubSpot Connection” date be updated as well as “Last Entry Received” date if you have your account and events setup properly but that doesn’t necessarily mean the fields are correct. If your Referral Status Change Event settings are set correctly, any tests should appear in your Sales Entries log.
I’m not getting any sales entries
Also check to see if you are referencing the correct object, field name and value match. Referral Rock will only trigger an update when there is an exact value match for the selected field. Ensure that the Value Match field in Referral Rock matches the Internal Name of the property you are using as the trigger in HubSpot.
My fields aren’t being set correctly
If you run into any issues you can dig into the details of the individual sales entries to tell you exactly what is being sent by HubSpot. Double check your field mapping settings to see if they are indeed correct.