Using the Referral Rock and Zapier integration is simple and available on any plan type. Automating tasks, like receiving notifications for new Referrals, updating your email list, or syncing with your CRM, makes it easy for business owners to focus more on running their businesses and less on small tasks. Zapier makes automating tasks a breeze, no programming skills necessary. This article explains:
- What are triggers and actions and when should you should use each one.
- How to integrate your Referral Rock account by automating tasks with Zapier.
Trigger or Action?
A trigger is the event or change that kicks off your Zap's workflow. If something happens within the trigger app that fits the specific parameters you outline, then another separate action occurs. An action is your desired response to your trigger that is enabled through your Zap. For example, when a new Referral is added in Referral Rock, Zapier sends that information to your CRM to create a lead. Adding a Referral to your referral program would be the trigger and the creation of the lead in your CRM would be the action. This can also work in the reverse: adding a lead in your CRM can create a Referral in your referral program within Referral Rock.
Create a Zap!
Using Zapier to integrate your Referral Rock account will allow you to trigger events outside of Referral Rock based on events that happen within your Referral Rock account and vice versa. You can set a trigger based on the following events:
- New Member: When a new Member is added.
- New Reward: When a new reward is created.
- New Referral: When a new Referral is added.
- Updated Member: When an existing Member has been updated.
- Updated Referral: When an existing Referral has been updated.
- Updated Reward: When an existing reward has been updated.
- Email Unsubscribe: When an individual selects to unsubscribe from an email list.
Using filters within Zapier is a very powerful tool. Filters allow you to specify which programs, events, or updates you would like to trigger the action. Some common examples when building a Zap! with Referral Rock might include setting New Member as the trigger but with a specific program as the filter or choosing Updated Referral as the trigger with only a certain status allowing the Zap! to continue. To add a filter, click the plus sign on the left-hand side of your screen within Zapier and select ‘Filter’.
To create a Zap! in Zapier:
- Select the Make A Zap! button at the top of the screen in your Zapier account.
- Choose a Trigger App by typing 'Referral Rock' into the search bar and selecting the app.
- Select your Trigger. Do you want an action to occur when a new program is created, a new Member is added, a new Referral is added, or when a Referral's status has been updated? Once you select your trigger, select Save, and Continue.
- Connect a New Account. A window will pop-up prompting you to add the API keys tied to your Referral Rock account. To find your API Keys, log in to your Referral Rock account and navigate to Integrations. Scroll down on the page until you are able to see ‘Manage API Keys’ under Libraries. After choosing ‘Manage API Keys’, you will be able to view your Public Key. To add your secondary Private Key, click Add Private Key and name the key. We suggest giving it a name relating to Zapier for easy reference later. Once you have set up your keys, press the Test button. If the test is successful, Save and Continue.
- Test Referral Rock. You can choose to skip this option. To test, press Connect and Continue. When prompted, login to your Referral Rock account in a separate window and add a member. This Member is for testing purposes only. Once you have added a member, go back to Zapier and press Fetch & Continue. If the test was successful, press Continue.
- Choose an Action App. This will be the app you want to integrate with Referral Rock. For integration ideas, explore Zapier’s Zap templates.
- Select your action.
- Connect a New Account. Login to the app. Once you sign in, press the Test button. If the test is successful, Save and Continue.
- Test/Setup App. This typically includes setting up a template that will tell Zapier which pieces of information to pull from Referral Rock and where to map them or the action you want to see based on the trigger you selected within Referral Rock.
- Name your Zap and Turn it On.