2017-2019 Release Notes
The Definitive Guide to Referral Rock
Program Setup: Design Guide
New User Guide
Key Term Reference Guide
Success Checklist Part 1: Technical Review
Success Checklist Part 2: Branding and Messaging
Migration Checklist from old referral system to Referral Rock
Ambassador to Referral Rock: A Comprehensive Migration Guide
Build Your Program
Migration from Member Portal Classic to the new Member Portal
Referral Page (Web Page Builder)
Referral Page (Redirect)
Emails & Notifications
Registration Page (Classic)
Login and Reset Pages (Classic)
Member Page (Classic)
Referral Page (Overview)
Referral Page (Classic Form)
Referral Page (Classic Landing)
Email Editor v2
Rewards & Payments
PayPal Self Service (Use your own PayPal Business account)
Email Payouts (Coupons)
Using PayPal Escrow
Member Invite Automation
Site Settings and Domain Settings
Salesforce and HubSpot CRM Integrations
Referral Add to Salesforce
Referral Update with Salesforce v2
Referral Add to HubSpot
Referral Update with HubSpot
Salesforce to Referral Rock Integration (Classic Version)
Facebook and Google SSO (Member Portal Classic)
Pre-Approved Member Registration
Integrating Your User Interface
One Click Access
On-Site Widget (Overlay)
Link Widget (Embedded)
Member Portal Embed Experience
Referral Capture & Update
Universal Script: Convert 3rd party cookie to 1st party
(Advanced) Triggering Scripts on Non-Pageload Events
Active Campaign Forms
Best Practices / Guides
Referral Best Practices
Member Best Practices
Promotion Best Practices
W9 and 1099 Compliance
Testing Before Launch
Import Members and Referrals
Working with External Tracking and Scripts
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the difference between a Member and a Referral?
Can Referral Rock help me with designing my program?
Can a Customer Success Manager help me through my trial?
Can Referral Rock reward Members as well as Referrals?
How many domains can be integrated with Referral Rock?
Is Referral Rock compliant with GDPR?
How can I submit a product bug or feature request?
Account & Billing
I forgot my password! How do I log in?
How can I add a team member to my Referral Rock account?
What do the team roles mean?
Where can I upgrade my subscription?
Where can I pause or cancel my subscription?
I need to update my credit card information. Where do I go?
How do I update my company's address?
Where can I access my invoices and billing information?
What is my Member Limit?
What happens when I reach my Member limit?
Can I clear my data and statistics?
Can the same person be part of multiple referral programs?
How can I change the text template in the email invitation a member sends?
Can I add an additional custom field to the Member Registration form?
Would an extension like AdBlocker prevent us from capturing a referral?
Can Referral Rock integrate with Instagram?
How do I add a video to my program?
How do I get notified of new members and referrals?
What do the Suggestion and Warning alerts on my Program Overview page mean?
How many programs am I allowed to run at one time?
How can I limit the referral program so only our current customers can participate?
What is the difference between the Site view and the Widget View on the member classic pages?
What is the size of the Referral Rock widget?
What happens when I activate my program?
Can my referral program be run in other languages?
How do I see a list of all of my members?
How do I manually add a member?
Where do I see a specific member's activity, like their referrals and rewards?
What is a referral code?
Are member referral codes case sensitive?
What are Member Segments?
I have a list of customers that I’d like to automatically enroll as Members. Will an email be sent to them if I import a member CSV?
What information do I see on the Referral List?
What do I see when I view a Referral's details?
What are the different statuses that referrals can be in Referral Rock?
How do I manually add a referral?
How do I manually update a referral's status?
Is there an easy way for me to download all the referrals collected into a spreadsheet?
What is the difference between a Payout and the program's Reward Rules?
How can I schedule my payouts to issue at a certain time?
My product/service has a return policy. Can I apply an eligibility date to my reward?
How do I manually issue a reward?
A reward was issued to the wrong email. What do I do?
Can I reissue a reward?
What type of rewards can Referral Rock automate for me?
Can Referral Rock send a check or cash as a reward?
How do I fund my PayPal account?
How do I fund my Tango (Gift Card) account?
How does someone redeem their Prepaid Visa card from Tango?
Do I get an email when I have a pending reward?
Can I limit the annual reward amount for a recipient?
How do I create a Member Segment?
What filters can I use to narrow down my Member list for a segment?
Can I edit or delete a segment?
When do I use a Member Segment?
What are member segments?
How can I view a list of all Members that are included in a segment?
How do I change the delivery name and email for outbound emails sent from Referral Rock?
How do I add my company logo to Referral Rock emails?
What are the Email Sharing blocks?
Can I create my own templates?
What is the block list?
How can I prevent emails from going to spam?
How do I view emails by Program or Member?
Where can I see my email statistics and history?
I'm not sure if all of my emails were sent properly. How can I check?
How do I resend an email?
Configuration Activity Log
Program Activity Log
Image Dimensions (Classic Member Pages)
Table of Contents
Updated by Amber Liggett
Using the Referral Rock and Zapier integration is simple and available on any plan. Automating tasks, like receiving notifications for new Referrals, updating your email list, or syncing with your CRM, makes it easy for business owners to focus more on running their businesses and less on small tasks. Zapier makes automating tasks a breeze, no programming skills necessary! This article explains:
- What are triggers and actions and when should you should use each one.
- How to integrate your Referral Rock account by automating tasks with Zapier.
Trigger or Action?
A trigger is the event or change that kicks off your Zap's workflow. If something happens within the trigger app that fits the specific parameters you outline, then another separate action occurs. An action is your desired response to your trigger that is enabled through your Zap.
For example, when a new Referral is added in Referral Rock, Zapier sends that information to your CRM to create a lead. Adding a Referral to your referral program would be the trigger and the creation of the lead in your CRM would be the action. This can also work in the reverse: adding a lead in your CRM can create a Referral in your referral program within Referral Rock.
Create a Zap!
Using Zapier to integrate your Referral Rock account will allow you to trigger events outside of Referral Rock based on events that happen within your Referral Rock account and vice versa. You can set a trigger based on the following events:
- New Member: When a new Member is added.
- New Reward: When a new reward is created.
- New Referral: When a new Referral is added.
- Updated Member: When an existing Member has been updated.
- Updated Referral: When an existing Referral has been updated.
- Updated Reward: When an existing reward has been updated.
- Email Unsubscribe: When an individual selects to unsubscribe from an email list.
Using filters within Zapier is a very powerful tool. Filters allow you to specify which programs, events, or updates you would like to trigger the action. Some common examples when building a Zap with Referral Rock might include setting New Member as the trigger but with a specific program as the filter or choosing Updated Referral as the trigger with only a certain status allowing the Zap to continue.
To add a filter, click the plus sign on the left-hand side of your screen within Zapier and select ‘Filter’.
Creating your Zap in Zapier
- Select the Make A Zap! button at the top of the screen in your Zapier account.
- Choose a Trigger App by typing 'Referral Rock' into the search bar and selecting the app.
- Select your Trigger. Do you want an action to occur when a new program is created, a new Member is added, a new Referral is added, or when a Referral's status has been updated? Once you select your trigger, select Save, and Continue.
- Connect a New Account. A window will pop-up prompting you to add the API keys tied to your Referral Rock account. As of 10/13/2020 we began hashing new API keys. This means your Private Key and Basic Auth key will not be visible after initial creation. API Keys created prior will show your Private Key and Basic Auth key until 11/3/2020. While this will not disrupt the functionality of your integrations, please copy these keys in a safe place.
- To find your API Keys, log in to your Referral Rock account and navigate to Integrations (Settings > Integrations). Scroll down on the page until you are able to see ‘Manage API Keys’ under Libraries. After choosing ‘Manage API Keys’, you will be able to view your Public Key. To add your secondary Private Key, click Add API Key and name the key. We suggest giving it a name relating to Zapier for easy reference later. Continue and save your Private Key in a safe place, as it will not be visible later. In Zapier, once you have set up your keys, press the Test button. If the test is successful, Save and Continue.
- Test Referral Rock. You can choose to skip this option. To test, press Connect and Continue. When prompted, login to your Referral Rock account in a separate window and add a member. This Member is for testing purposes only. Once you have added a member, go back to Zapier and press Fetch & Continue. If the test was successful, press Continue.
- Choose an Action App. This will be the app you want to integrate with Referral Rock. For integration ideas, explore Zapier’s Zap templates.
- Select your action.
- Connect a New Account. Login to the app. Once you sign in, press the Test button. If the test is successful, Save and Continue.
- Test/Setup App. This typically includes setting up a template that will tell Zapier which pieces of information to pull from Referral Rock and where to map them or the action you want to see based on the trigger you selected within Referral Rock.
- Name your Zap and Turn it On.